Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Julia Only.........Hi Julia my aunts wound is still seeping,

Julia Only.........Hi Julia my aunt's wound is still seeping, will this continue she gets the stitches out this week, even after? Also her ankle same foot has been swollen even with keeping it elevated. Usually with elevation any other time swelling will go down. Do you think it's because of the wound is it normal?

I am also still having the word problem, seems like I can't read correctly or type very well. I did sleep more last night was only up to turn her over. I have been tired for years can't understand this just happening from stress or fatigue.

Hi Beth,

Sorry, I was outside all day today, we finally had a nice weather day, here in Chicago, to actually enjoy the weather.

Ok, in terms of your aunt...the wound will continue to seep until the skin complete comes together and heals. That definitely takes 10 days (that's probably when the stitches will be coming out) but may take even longer because your aunt's skin is so frail and thin, it can take longer. So, yes, it is normal for the wound to seep fluid for several weeks. Again, as long as it is not showing signs of infection, there is nothing to worry about. You take such good care of her that I cannot imagine the wound getting infected.

In terms of the swelling in her leg/ankle - she has a large hematoma and due to gravity, it all gravitated down into her ankle so even with keeping the leg elevated, some of the swelling will persist. Since it does get better after being elevated, it is of no concern. Swelling will improve over the weeks as the blood that had escaped internally dissolves.

Ok, now to you...Beth, if this is a new problem and you really never had it before or never had it as badly before, it is worth checking out. I can definitely tell you it is not dementia and not peri-menopause and quite sure it is not a stroke but if this is a new problem, you can get CT scan of the head to make sure. I really don't think its anything but since it is not going away, get it checked out. For the past few days I have been confusing fruits and vegetables. I want to say "vegetables" and keep saying "fruits" - so you are not alone :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lol you made me laugh when you said you are confusing fruits & vegetables. Today it hasn't been as bad. I was on the phone with a friend, and she was doing it to meaning one thing than saying another, I never told her I was having the issue. I guess I notice it more now since it's been happening to me. So you still don't think it's anything to worry over? Can stress & fatigue happen like this, even when in the past it hasn't?

So my aunts wound can seep after the stitches are removed? They are supposed to come out in 7-10 days this week, would they leave them in longer? It looks like her skin is doing well coming together as far as I can tell. The nurse comes back this week sometime to take blood & to remove the stitches.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Yes, stress and fatigue can present itself like this. Since your stress level went up with your aunt's accident, it is possible that your symptoms have gotten worse along with the increased stress. You cannot even imagine how forgetful I have gotten since the baby was born and my sleep has been compromised.

It is possible for the wound to still seep a bit once the stitches are removed. It usually takes 7-14 days for the skin to close. Its not just the outside of the skin that is healing but all the tissue under the skin that was compromised. Usually we do not keep stitches for more then 10 days because it becomes harder to remove them after that. They can usually tell when the stitches should be coming out based on how well the skin is healing. After they remove the stitches, they may also put steri-strips on to make sure the skin doesn't come apart.