Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

what is the life expectancy for someone with copd,that is,.

what is the life expectancy for someone with copd,that is,.? from the time they are diagnosed to when death occurrs?HOW MANY YEARS?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

There is no ability to predict the life expectancy for COPD diagnosis because there are a lot of factors that it depends on.

Life expectancy depends on the severity of COPD at the time of diagnosis, need for oxygen, is the person still smoking or is exposed to 2nd hand smoking.

People with COPD can live perfectly normal lives (with using inhalers) as long as they quit smoking.

I have a patient who died at the age of 91 (from lung cancer) who had severe COPD and was on oxygen plus all the inhalers since he was 70.

So there are a lot of factors that go into prognosis for COPD but most peoples' life expectancies will not be compromised from COPD diagnosis.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are there no studies indicating the average life exp for a person with copd

Hello again,

Unfortunately there are no studies which will indicate an average life expectancy because there are so many factors that go into that assessment - smoking history, severity of COPD at the time of diagnosis, response to inhalers, other medical conditions, increased risk of lung cancer, as well as other factors.

Life span of a person diagnosed with COPD can be completely normal and COPD will not shorten it if smoking has been eliminated and if symptoms are well controlled. Person who continues to smoke, who is not complaint with using inhalers and has severe COPD may die within weeks to months. So there is no way to predict or estimate.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Julia