Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have a fluid build up in my right foot. Pain in the heal

I have a fluid build up in my right foot. Pain in the heal and outside bottom of foot, some in achiles tendon area (mainly I think from the swelling.) X-Ray shows no breaks or spurs. Sonogram showed no clots. The pain has gotten worse over the last 7 days. (Testing was done 3 days ago.
I have taken ibuprofen, iced it, and elevated it. Now I can hardly walk on it and the pain is worse. I started Sulundac 200mg 2x/day this evening. My ARNP said she doubts that it is gout, but gave me the Sulundac.
There is a history of blood clot and anuerism in my family.
What is going on and what should I do??? Am I moving in the right direction?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Where is the pain the worst?

Customer:

Back of heel and achilles tendon and around the outside of the foot (whole foot swollen)

Customer:

It is a friend with me. It is worst in the back and bottom of heel.

Customer:

Any ideas Dr. B. ??

Dr B :

Yes

Customer:

Thank you what do I need to do next to learn your answer or are you thinking still??

Dr B :

Have you had an MRI?

Customer:

No MRI Should one be done in an ER???

Customer:

Next ARNP appointment is in a week.

Customer:

Ultra Sound and x-ray only. Sorry if I am chatty

Dr B :

No problem

Customer:

TY

Dr B :

I don't think you need to go to an ER

Customer:

Is that your complete answer Dr. B.? Get an MRI?

Dr B :

I think you should consider getting an MRI to determine where the inflammation is coming from

Dr B :

has anyone evaluated you for plantar fasciitis?

Customer:

Yes we do not know There is no redness of heat

Customer:

Is that planters wart???

Customer:

no redness or heat

Dr B :

No, it is when there is severe pain in your foot, towards your heal, and it is usually worse in the morning

Dr B :

It has nothing to do with redness or heat

Customer:

Was worse in day ... But today worse in am

Customer:

Does MRI help for that ... or what constitutes evaluation??

Dr B :

When did this all start?

Customer:

About 7 and 1/2 days ago....

Dr B :

How bad is the swelling, can you wear your normal shoes?

Customer:

Sneakers need to be more unlaced

Dr B :

So the pain does not improve as the day goes on?

Customer:

No

Customer:

Pain is gradually worse over last 4 days and swelling increased some

Customer:

does not improve as day goes on

Customer:

weird

Dr B :

I see, there could be a stress fracture, or it could be tendinitis

Customer:

no fractures in x-ray

Customer:

but there may be error

Customer:

no injury preceded that we know of

Dr B :

An MRI will evaluate the soft tissue and detect any subtle fractures. X rays will rarely detect stress fractures until after 2-3 weeks

Customer:

Can it wait a week? There is pain level 7 or 8

Customer:

It just gets worse

Dr B :

It can wait, it all depends on your level of pain

Dr B :

I think you might be best served with a walking moon boot or an air cast boot for now

Customer:

okay Anything else Dr B?

Dr B :

No, that is all for now

Customer:

can the boot or cast be purchased over counter?

Dr B :

it would cost a fortune, it is better to get your doctor to prescribe it

Customer:

Ty Dr. B.

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session

Customer:

Ty

Customer:

That is Great Thank You !

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience