Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

try a med(ssri) that will not make me feel all out of it and stoned

Customer Question

i just want your opinion on two meds that im debating on trying. i have anticipatory anxiety and agoraphobia, i am currently on 1.5mg of klonopin its taking away the anxiety but not the agoraphobia, i want to try a med(ssri) that will not make me feel all out of it and stoned in the beginnign and one that many people can tolerate as far as side effects. i have a newborn at home and need to be able to function, is there any drug of your choice that will give me relief of my symptoms but yet not make me feel wierd?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The most tolerable SSRI with fewest side effects and easiest dosing is Lexapro. The usual starting dose is 10 mg (10 mg is usually the dose people stay on). If you are worried about side effects in the beginning, you can start by taking 2.5 mg for one week, then increase to 5 mg for one week, and then to 10 mg.

Another SNRI (cousin of SSRI) recently came out and it is called Pristique. It comes in 50 mg. This medication is also very well tolerated.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sorry one more question, how long do people usually stay on these medications for? after a certain period of time do some people wean off and are completely fine sicne the imbalance is fixed?

Well, that just depends.

If people have a "situational anxiety" (example - they moved to a new place to live or switched jobs), they can be on the medication temporarily until they settle in and become comfortable.

However, if people have long-standing anxiety secondary to misbalance of certain hormones, they may need to be on these medications permanently. These medications don't fix imbalance, they just keep the balance in control. Once the medication is stopped, the misbalance will come back (I should say most likely will come back).

Hope this answers your question, please let me know if you have any other questions.