Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

My wife and I have been married for 25 years. Unfortunately

My wife and I have been married for 25 years. Unfortunately 10 years ago she had severe breast cancer. At 7 years after the surgery she went radical in her reconstrtuction using muscle from her legs to reattact to a blood supply to simulate breasts.
She had always paid attention to her health, but then went non-stop fanatical in her research/reading/medical conferences to make sure the cancer never comes back, stop the aging process the best you can, and doing in natural cures. My wife is 65 and holds no degrees or college classes on medicine or such. She maintains a mini pharmacy in one of our closets. It is stocked from companies such as Life Extensions, Solaray, Longevity Science, Doctor's Best, XXXXX XXXXX Dr. Clark, World Organic to name just a few. Magazines come in from New Health-Dr.David G. Williams, Alternatives which I don't see as valid by how it is written.
So here is my question. I don't know how to trust her sources or cures. I sometimes feel like she is practicing medicine without a license on me but I don't do a fraction of her supplements. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? She socializes with a number of M.D.s. from her membership with a medical research group called Smart Life Forum. goggle it for more info. It is her new passion. She is 65 and I am 62. My background has been PE teacher 12 years and wine salesman for 20.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Are most of these items just supplements, herbs, and minerals that are available to anyone without a prescription?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These are probably all available to the general public. From sources maybe known mainly to M.D.s? Current example. I have a ear infection, before going back to E.N.&T. doctor, she has prescribed 3 times a day,1) wormwood, 550 mg., 2)Internal Paraite Formula from Health Force Nutritionals, 500mg, a blend of cloves, black walnut hulls and milk thistle seed, and 3) Andrographis Complex from MediHerb, 100mg's.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is - what do YOU want- do you want to be proactive about this, do you want to pacify her, etc?????
And, one thing you will not do with most people with cancer WHO get caught up in their diagnosis - is that you will NOT stop them in their pursuit of finding a cure - they all think they have the answer - so you can sit back, pacifiy her, or just say you do not want to partake in these supplements, but let her do what she wants because she already has been a survivior - and many times the spouse (like myself - I sit back and let her do what she wants)....I'm sort of in a similar boat except I am the MD and she thinks she is the MD....
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate