DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I recently started the patch to quit chewing tobacco I quit

Customer Question

I recently started the patch to quit chewing tobacco I quit for health reasons I have a question Sometimes After I put a chew of snuff in the mouth about 10 minuts later I would feel a mild pressure feeling in my chest. I took my bp before a use of tobacco and during The bp and heart rate were slightly elevated I have not had this feeling after stopping snuff I am just wondering Is this something serious that the dr. should check or is this just a strong reaction to snuff
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
what is your age and gender?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am a male of 25 years The reason I am a little concerned is That I have Aa family history of early heart disease and veri early development of risk factors This comes primarily from my paturnal grandfather's side My uncle mike Had an accute corinary syndrome in his 20s I also have a history of hypertention and sinus tachicardia wich is controlled with metoprolol succinate 100 mg and dislipidema for wich i use simcore 1000/20 I also use asparin to help with flushing associated with the niason in my lipid lowering medication. About two years ago I had a stress test due to shortness of breath and the test showed no eshemia. My current bp is 131/75 and heart rate 84 this is after a 24 hour nicitene free time I don't have chest paine at rest or during moderate physical activity such as taking a walk or performing day to day activities. The shortness of breath that was a problem was found to be from worsening allergies so singulair was started.

what type of stress test
isotope? with a nuclear isotope?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was injected with a substance called cardiolight. I was hooked up to wires When it was time for the stress to be induced adenisene was given over a fiew minuts.

So that is fairly definitive.
You could also have a cardiac CT to see if you have any plaque, or even a newer procedure called a ct angio gram which would show even more.

But it sounds like the tightness is due to the asthma and it might not be controlled will.
You should have an EKG during this sensation if you can.
And you should have the asthma completely controlled.

It should be noted that angiogram is still the definitive gold standard for the heart so discuss this with your cardiologist as this test would end the wondering.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.