Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

MRI Assessment, There is a narrow, horizontal internal rupture,

MRI Assessment, There is a narrow, horizontal internal rupture, with a laceration of the femoral surface on the junction with the free end of the postierior horn of the medial meniscous. There is a circumscribed, undermined cartilaginous defect, in the center of the patela. There is no evidence of an osteochandral lesion or of a larger jouint mouse and there are no signs of arthritis, with an only discrete, retropatellar effusion. Centrally located, there is a state of irritation of the PCL, with mildly activated enthesiopathy of the quadroceps tendon on the upper pole of the patella, with a discrete, ventral peritendinitisand a complex, cystic ganglion in the area of the insertion of the capsule, dorsomedial, metaphyseal, on the distal femur. There is no bursitis. What does this mean in lamen terms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 5 years ago.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.

You have 2 meniscus in your knee the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) The are c-shaped shock absorbing cartilages that sit on either side of your knee cap (patella) Basically you have a tear in the posterior horn of your meniscus (back bend of meniscus) Usually surgery is needed to either repair or remove part of it.

The patella is your knee cap. There is cartilage that lies behind it to keep it from rubbing the other bones. There is a defect in this, probably a small hole that has been rubbed into it. Once again, surgery can be done or they may want to try injections called Euflexxa or Synvisc that help lubricate the knee and stimulate growth of new cartilage. If this is an option, choose Euflexxa over Synvisc, my opinion is Euflexxa is better.

Your PCL is the posterior cruciate ligament (1 of the 4 major ones) . It is located on the back of the knee. Something is rubbing against it irritating it but with your report I'm not sure. Sometimes you develop bone spurs that can rub against ligaments and cartilage and irritate it.

enthesiopathy is a disorder of tendons attaching to the bone. Most of the time it is due to inflammation. So where all of those attach to the bone there is inflammation there.

Cystic ganglion is a non cancerous cyst that are very common in the knee. A lot of people have them and do not even know they are there. This may be a finding that was or is not causing symptoms but if you have to have surgery the doctor will most likely remove it.

Effusion is the medical word for swelling so there is some mild swelling around your knee cap .

Hope this has helped, if you have any further questions please let me know. Have a good day. Good luck with your knee!