Help4Health
Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

whats the future for HIV/AIDS sufferers?

Customer Question

what's the future for HIV/AIDS sufferers?
Category: Health
Expert:  Help4Health replied 3 years ago.

NOTE: Due to a computer issue, my original spacing has been removed, resulting in a "scrunched up" appearance of text. I have notified technical support and apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important health question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a registered nurse with HIV/AIDS experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for writing back with the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.
  2. "what's the future for HIV/AIDS sufferers?" In a nutshell, it is brighter than ever before. This year, we mark the 30th anniversary of the first formal announcement. I can well remember what a literal death sentence a diagnosis was at that time. Today, however, HIV/AIDS has moved from being a terminal malady to being a chronic but highly manageable condition somewhat analogous to other states such as diabetes and hypertension. I say all of that not meaning to downplay the seriousness of the virus one bit. Likewise, we must remain highly vigilant to not let our guard down and forsake precautions. However, the good news is that for a person newly diagnosed today, the projected average lifespan for a young person residing in an industrialized nation and receiving proper health care runs very close to that of a non-infected person (e.g. approximately 60 more years for one diagnosed at age 20). So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that there is hope both in terms of new treatments, new means of prevention, and of course the very exciting vaccine research always underway.

3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no nurse-patient relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., RN, BSN, MSN/FNP/APRN Candidate. You should always consult in person with a licensed, practicing health care professional of an applicable discipline/specialty in your state.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My girl friend has been diagnosed with HIV, I am negative though and i want to go ahead and make her my wife. How can i be sure to have kids with her and not get infected? are condoms really safe?

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

I do ask that you kindly press "Accept" to process my answer.

1. "How can i be sure to have kids with her and not get infected?" I commend you for being responsible and prudent by addressing the matter now in proactive fashion. The number one most important thing that you can do in this regard is for both of you to sit down, together and in person, with a trusted health care provider. If neither of you already have such a professional in your life, an excellent option would be to visit your nearest Planned Parenthood Health Center. Statistically speaking, three measures serve to lower the risk of virus transmission from mother to fetus/baby: (1) taking HIV medications; (2) undergoing a Cesarean section as opposed to a vaginal delivery; and (3) refraining from breast feeding. Without any clinical intervention, the odds are roughly one-third (three out of every 10 pregnancies) that virus transmission will result. Unfortunately, at this date there is no entirely foolproof means of absolutely removing any risk.
  2. "are condoms really safe?" Yes. When used properly every time, research studies have demonstrated a nearly 100% effectiveness rate in terms of prevention of transmission with a known HIV+ sexual partner. From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Condoms and STDs: Fact Sheet for Public Health Personnel

Congratulations on your marriage plans!

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

[Please click "Accept" -- this is the only way I get paid for my work and services provided.]

Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I have kids with her and not get infected?

Hi there,

Many thanks for your payment -- greatly appreciated!

1. "How do I have kids with her and not get infected?" For your protection, the only reasonable means is consistent, proper condom usage. To have biological children, however, that will obviously not be the route to go. This is a more tricky situations...trying to bear children while protecting them and yourself from the virus. It involves both of you sitting down with your health care provider -- prior to even thinking about conceiving --to explore strategies such as anti-retroviral medications (lowering viral load for her and possibly prophylaxis for you). I cannot stress enough, however, that this can only be worked out face to face with your health care professional.

I hope all works out for both of you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks!
You are quite welcome...my pleasure to have been of service.