CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I twisted my ankle last summer, which caused a hairline fracture

I twisted my ankle last summer, which caused a hairline fracture and torn ligaments. I had a soft cast put on as well as a boot. The soft cast was to be taken off after 10 days and the boot was to be worn for a few months. I took everything off after 7 days because of back pain, but kept it wrapped for another week after. Its been a year and it still causes me issues occassionally. More specifically, I can't hike without twisting it every time. Is it ever going to be like it was before? And what can I do to prevent it from twisting again?

P.S. I wear vibrams when I hike and run so I don't have a heel on my shoe at all.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. You really need to have this looked at by an orthopedic Doctor. While the hairline fracture most probably healed, the torn ligaments may be in need of medical intervention. I do not think this is something that will "go away" without some kind of help.