Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Is there a reason why a person would begin to not clot when

Is there a reason why a person would begin to not clot when then bleed as fast as they did previously? I have noticed that when I bleed, I bleed longer now than in previous years. For instance, a few weeks ago, I bit the skin around my nail, which I have a habit of doing and accidently went too deep and drew blood. In the past, it would stop pretty quick. This time it took me about 15 min. to get it to quit. I applied pressure and it took me wrapping my finger up in a bandaid to get it to stop. I didnt bite more than usual and it wasnt worse than any other time I have drawn blood by accident. Then today, I had a physical exam and gave 2 tubes of blood. After 4 hours, I took the bandaid off and when I did, pin pricks of blood came again. I am only 30 years old. I am not on ANY medications. Just find it odd that Im bleeding longer than previous. Possibly coincidence, but I thought Id ask. Thanks!

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you please tell me if you noticed that you bruise more easily then before? Any spontaneous nose bleeds?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No spontaneous nose bleeds, never had one but yes, definitely yes on the bruising. I look like a spotted leopard on my legs! I attributed it to bringing a new baby in and out of the car and pressing hard, but I definitely bruise easy (always have but definitely have been more than usual lately). I also lost 45 lbs from April, 2010 - Dec. 2010 but have been maintaining weight since. (Was diagnosed borderline insulin resistant in April, 2010 and started walking and eating right, stopped walking in Sept. due to weight loss. I was originally 178lbs, Im now 134lbs.) Im 5'9". I have PCOS (no cysts, just extra artial follicles). I also have been diagnosed in August as having anxiety. PRN clonazepam (.5mg) but havent taken it or any thing else since last month (Easter time).

If that helps you answer my question?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I also wanted to note that duing my last CBC and blood screen in March, 2011 my Hemaglobin was slightly low (like 0.2 below the preferred 'normal' range) and my BUN was slighting high at 2.0 above the preferred normal range). Doctor told me that it could be my normal though. I have had some other testing because of the weight loss and nothing has shown irregular.

Thanks for your reply.

I dont think that bleeding more then usual after biting a cuticle is of any concern. You could have injured a bigger blood vessel than you did in the past or maybe the injury was a little deeper then normal but, in any case, that should not create any concerns.

I am a bit surprised that you had some bleeding after you took off a bandage from 4 hrs prior - its ok to have a bruise there but you shouldn't really be having any new blood at all. One of the possibilities is that when you took off the bandage, you also took a thin layer of skin with it causing a few blood speckles. And if the blood was dry blood on the bandage, that's ok too.

Knowing that you had a normal CBC answers my next question - if you had a normal CBC (slightly low hemoglobin is not important in this case), that means your platelets were normal. Platelets is what makes your blood stick together. Some people have low platelets which puts them at risk for more bleeding.

But since you did notice easier bruising recently, I would recommend that you get a blood test called "bleeding time" which will show how well your blood clots.

I really don't think there is any concern at this time but based on the 2 episodes you mentioned but because of the bruising, I would get that blood test. Elevated BUN could be from slight dehydration and we do see it commonly and it is not of any concern.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,