CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have large,painful, feverish lumps on my feet, ankle, and

Customer Question

I have large,painful, feverish lumps on my feet, ankle, and elbow. What could they be?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Can you upload a photo please?

Customer :

sorry, i cannot upload a photo

CamilleRN :

that's ok

CamilleRN :

What do the lumps look like?

Customer :

they are under the skin with no opening to the outside-they are redder toward the middle and some are as large as 1 and one half inches across- they seem to be cropping up in different places as time progresses

CamilleRN :

do they look like this:

Full Size Image

CamilleRN :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Yes, but there is no pimple in the middle of the lump-they are on the ball of my foot, above my elbow, on my ankle at the joint--my knee joints have aso begun to hurt all this has happened in the last 5 days

CamilleRN :

Uric acid is a waste product normally present in the blood as a result of the breakdown of purines. IF you have high amounts of uric acid in your body it can cause crystals to form in the joints and cause gout.

CamilleRN :

here is an article that will help to explain what gout is and what is done about it

CamilleRN :

GOUT

Customer :

I went to the doctor and it is not gout

CamilleRN :

What did he think it was?

CamilleRN :

Did he say they are neuromas?

Customer :

He didn't know and I have bee searching on the internet for possibilities, bit I don't know all of the medical terminology.

CamilleRN :

A neuroma is basically an inflamed nerve. A Morton's neuroma causes pain in the ball of the foot..the pain will also affect third and fourth toes. The pain is typically is the worst with standing and walking and usually is relieved by rest.

CamilleRN :

You can get a neuroma just about anywhere. Do the bumps on your ankle and arm hurt?

Customer :

Does it cause a lump too

CamilleRN :

yes

CamilleRN :

but it could be also a lipoma which is a fatty tumor , while normally they( Fatty tumors) don't hurt..if it is positioned in certain areas it can cause pain.

Customer :

Could it be associated with painful joints and does it come on suddenly? What causes a neuroma?

CamilleRN :

...this is why I am thinking gout

CamilleRN :

Did he do blood tests to check uric acid levels?

Customer :

I don't know, but I do have to go since I am at work. Thanks

CamilleRN :

you are very welcome

CamilleRN :

I hope you feel better very soon