CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

have health insurance so my hands are kind of tied

I don't have health insurance so my hands are kind of tied. I assume any answer I get will say to go to the doc, but ill just have to wait a few more months. Until then, this is a great way to get some sort of opinion on my issue.

I have 2 children, 5 years and 2 years old. During my C-section for my youngest, I had my tubes tied. After that, I breastfed for 14 months. During this time, I only got 2 menstral cycles. Since then, I have only had 3 more. These periods are not normal either. I bleed for about 2 to 3 weeks, but its so light that I don't have to use anything. Its just a light spotting everytime I wipe.

In addition to this, I cannot lose weight no matter how hard I try. I need to lose 50 lbs (I ate for 5 lol) and the only way I lose anything is by eating less than 1000 calories a day, and very minimal carbs. I also have to work out an hour a day, 5 days a week (usually eliptical, sometimes running outside). I've been very fit (6' and 150 lbs.) my whole life and I hate my new body (6' and 220 lbs.). I'm always tired, my skin is worse than a teenager's, I can't estimate when ill get my period, and I feel like I'm going to be fat forever. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have been assuming that my problems are mostly hormonal, so I recently went to planned parenthood to receive birth control. I lied and said that my periods are normal so that I wouldn't have to pay for a pap...unfortunatly it is out of my price range. I have not started taking it yet because I fear gaining even more weight.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jasmine
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. I am sorry you are not able to see a Doctor...because you are right.. this is what you really need to do. Hormone imbalance can cause the irregular periods, weight gain and more... so this is certainly a possible cause. Do you have any pain or unusual cramping?

Customer: Not regularly and I don't cramp during my menstral cycles like I used to. The only time I get pain is from intercourse. Its not always an issue, just sometimes.
CamilleRN :

I'm glad you don't have pain. I think the pills may help you by regulating your period... this is actually a common treatment for women with irregular menstrual cycles.

Customer: Is there any way I may have a thyroid issue? It seems weird that its so sudden, but my mom has hyperthyroid issues. I wondering if I have hypo. I've done a ton of research and have narrowed it down to a few things. Just wondering what a medical professional thinks.
CamilleRN :

yes, that is possible. IF the birth control pills do not resolve these issues you will need to see a Doctor who can order blood tests to either rule out or confirm a thyroid issue. A hypoactive thyroid can cause all of the symptoms you are experiencing.

Customer: Awesome! Thank you for your insight!
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.