Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Im 28 weeks pregnant with twins and taking zithromax for a

I'm 28 weeks pregnant with twins and taking zithromax for a sinus infection. I've taken four 250 mg tablets so far. I am having terrible muscle aches/weakness now and question if it's the Zithromax, perhaps?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry you are not feeling well...
Do you have a fever?
Is the weakness generalized (all over?)
Any numbness?

dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No fever, thank goodness! Yes, generalized weakness and malaise (though I realize the pregnancy is likely making me tired as well) and my muscles in my lower back/trunk area REALLY hurt. I'm also nauseous.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

I know that being sick right now is not what you need!!

The nausea you feel may be due to the zithromax; the weakness and muscle aches are not likely side effects. (there is approximately 1% incidence of malaise and weakness reported with zithromax, so I am inclined to say it is due to something else).

Muscle aches may be due to the underlying infection that you have--if you have had the sinus infection for less than a week, it is often viral, not bacterial. Viruses tend to cause muscle aches.

The low back pain may also be due to the pregnancy. If it is severe you need to contact your doctor today.

Because you are a high risk pregnancy by virtue of carrying twins, if your symptoms are not better tomorrow, it would not be a bad idea to follow up with your doctor if you do not contact him/her today.

I would check a urine on you given the back pain, listen to your lungs, etc.

I hope that you feel better soon..and I would continue with the zithromax as prescribed for now.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!