CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Not sure if this is the correct category or not... but wanted

Not sure if this is the correct category or not... but wanted to ask a question on my husband's behalf. For the last few weeks, he's been having a little issue. After ejaculation, there was a brownish/reddish color to his semem & his testicle starting hurting. After another time or not of this happening, the color eased up and is no longer like that... his testicle also stopped hurting, but now he has a gel substance that comes out. This has been happening for about 2 weeks or so... again last night. He says it doesn't hurt anymore, but I'm sure that the gel stuff is not a good thing! He doesn't have a doctor to go to... so I was wondering if someone knows what this could be, or what it could be a sign of?

Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Brownish / reddish semen color is likely due to blood. Blood in semen or ejaculate is called hematospermia. This can be caused by many conditions. The most common cause of blood in semen is inflammation/infection of the testes, seminal vesicles or prostate gland (prostatitis). A persistent discharge also points to the infection.

A physical examination by a urologist (doctors who will deal it) can give clue of the site of infection or pathology. Digital rectal examination, in which physician, puts a finger in the rectum to palpate prostate can reveal tenderness in prostate or seminal vesicles. A urine culture or semen culture can identify the organisms and their sensitivity towards the antibiotics. This can sometimes be self remitting also, but most of the times an antibiotic course would be required.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
if he has an infection... is there anything else he can do to help it, besides of antibiotics? he's never had this before.. and like i said, he doesn't have a doctor to go to either. you can't tell me anything about what the gel substance could be or lead too?

did i just write this in the wrong category then? can you forward this message to an urologist... or can i not ask the right doctor without paying more money??
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.It is not abnormal to see a gel like substance because there is a normal protein in semen that can thicken and gel the semen as he is experiencing.. This is more evident if he doesn't ejaculate as often as previously. As far as the previous brown discharge, that can indicate infection, but it can also indicate irritation. IF it happens again, have him see a neurologist. I hope this has helped you, please let me know if i can help further:-)
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.