drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

My wife has a severe attack of pain, vomitting, and diarrhea

My wife has a severe attack of pain, vomitting, and diarrhea about every six weeks. It last for about 4 hours and the pain can sometimes be controlled by lortab. She has been tested for chrones, cilliac, gall bladder, ulcer. she has had a colonoscopy and everything comes back clear. The doctors say maybe severe IBS. Any ideas or something to try?
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.

drknowsbest :

there is also something called cyclical vomiting syndrome but the treatment for when it occurs this rarely is to just treat the nausea with an antiemetic (zofran, phenergan)

drknowsbest :

in between these episodes if she does not have excess gas, regular constipation or diarrhea or both it is less likely ibs which does not usually flare and then totally resolve but just calm a little

drknowsbest :

has she been tested for food allergies (other than gluten) with IgE levels?

She has not been tested for food allergies. She does have the other IBS symptoms. Zofran does not stop the vommiting. We think the vomiting comes from the pain?

drknowsbest :

it could- a vasovagal reflex- my best combo would be a prescription form of hyocosamine (lessens bowel spasm) on a daily basis and lortab as needed but the lesser spasm the lesser pain and gas in between attacks and hopefully less need for lortab...cyclical vomiting patients i have also sometimes respond well to a low dose SSRI...although used for anxiety serotonin also has some effects on the gastrointestinal system and has been shown to lessen frequency of vomiting

drknowsbest :

if no more questions please accept so that we may exit