Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I suffer with constipation and have been told I have irritable

Customer Question

I suffer with constipation and have been told I have irritable bowel syndrome. Some time when I wipe my back passage after going to the loo although I would have passed motion a jelly like substance would be on the toilet tissue. Is this something I should be alarmed about? I am a 50 year old male.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any blood in the mucus?
Have you had a colonoscopy?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No Blood in the Mucus.

I had a colonoscopy some years ago, this is when I was told I had Irritable Bowel.

When I eat I feel very bloated some times to a point I get sick to get ease.

Kind Regards

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

It is not uncommon for people with irritable bowel to pass mucus.
We all have mucus glands in our colons that help to lubricate the passage of stools and to keep the lining of our colons moist.

As long as you are not passing bloody stools or bloody mucus this is not worrisome.

You are also describing other symptoms that are common with irritable bowel syndrome--bloating and nausea. It can be very uncomfortable at times.

If the constipation you are experiencing is severe, Amitiza, a prescription medication, can be used to help treat it if fiber and other therapies are not working well for you.

You should also check with your doctor to see if you are due for your next colonoscopy...

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!