911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

told by an Ortho PA that I have a torn meniscus in my right leg..leg

I have been told by an Ortho PA that I have a torn meniscus in my right leg. Lots of pain, weakness and it is hard, but not impossible to put full weight on the leg. Most of the problems are after prolonged sitting or after waking in the morning. Pain keeps me from sleeping no matter how I position the leg. What is the recovery time for surgery and is PRP a valid option? I absolutely cannot afford to be laid up for more than a few day due to my previously document concerns about my wife's health.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

First of all, was the diagnosis made on physical exam or on MRI:?

Customer:

No MRI yet, we planed to do that if I want to fix it surgically. We had decided to wait and see if I could deal with it. I thought I could but it is getting worse.

911Doctor :

Secondly, there is no rushing surgery and you really have no option here....

911Doctor :

If you do not do the surgery, then you will quickly become immobile or at least, much less mobile... be walking around on a cane or crutches....

Customer:

That is what I was afraid of, what about the PRP?

911Doctor :

But with the surgery, depending on whether this is really a meniscal tear or something worse you could be either in and out same day and have some time on crutches and with knee braced.... but if it's a meniscal repair then they are fairly simple and the recovery pretty reasonable...

911Doctor :

Here is a link that will help....

911Doctor :

hyyp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/torn-meniscus/DS00932

911Doctor :

If it is indeed a torn meniscus you will be doing your wife and YOU a big favor by getting it fixed and rehabbing your knee ASAP. Delaying this will hurt you both.

911Doctor :

Please let me know if you have any questions.

911Doctor :

Best

Customer:

Ok, once again thank you for the good advice.

What is a PRP?