911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My son is 8 years old. Last year we had problems with his

My son is 8 years old. Last year we had problems with his stomach and he kept messing in his pants and his tummy was always more runny than usual. They eventually did tests on him and he was diagnosed with an infection/goggo in his stomach. They gave him an antibiotic which he had to take for 7 days and the infection cleared up. However he still had a runny tummy and we eventually had to put him in nappies. We took him back to the doctor and they did some more tests but they all came back negative. I have read the books and they say that we need to get him to sit on the toilet every 30 minutes with a book which we have done, we have tried to give him immodium but he can drink the whole bottle and it makes no difference.

We are at our wits end and are now trying the "punishment" route by taking away his tv privileges. He just keeps messing in his pants and over weekends I can end up washing 20 pairs of underpants. Its like he doesn't have the will to go or is just lazy.

Really not sure what else to do
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

Have you done the following two things.....

911Doctor :

1. Has he seen a pediatric gastroenterologist? In other words have the physical causes all been ruled out by a specialist? It is not uncommon for 8 year olds to hold stool in, but having runny stool IS uncommon, especially for this long. Has he had stool studies? Barium enema or scope? If not, this IS your next step.

911Doctor :

2. If he has seen a pedictric gastroenterologist and been fully studied, then having him evaluated by a pediatric psychiatrist is your next step. I find it hard to imagine, again, based on what I said above, that this is 'psychogenic', but if it is then it is time for him to talk with a mental health professional.

911Doctor :

I will return very shortly to answer any questions you might have.

911Doctor :

Chronic diarrhea in a child is very worrisome....

911Doctor :

And here is a helpful link...

911Doctor :

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/symptoms/diarrhea.html

911Doctor :

would hate for him to be punished for something he can't help....