Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

my haemaglobin has just been reported at 11.6 and esr is at

my haemaglobin has just been reported at 11.6 and esr is at 46 is this very serious results
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 3 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

Does she have any medical conditions?

Dr B :

Do you have any medical conditions?

Dr B :

Why did you have the test?

Customer:

no medical condition. gallbladder removed 2008 blood tests done annually also lack of energy some joint pain and feeling cold in hands and feet

Dr B :

I see, this is not serious, but it needs to be further evaluated

Dr B :

You need an iron panel

Dr B :

It may be due to joint inflammation causing the results

Dr B :

they are not urgent, but should not be overlooked

Dr B :

Do you understand my replies above?

Customer:

i have been referred to a GI clinic so it will not be overlooked. what do you mean an iron panel? notwithstanding esr should be between 1 and 10 is 46 alarming or if the fact inflamation is causing this would the reading be gradually rising to 46 or would it be a sudden increase?

Dr B :

The ESR may be high due to inflammation

Dr B :

The iron panel will point to the cause of the low hemoglobiin, whether it is due to iron deficiency or a chronic condition

Dr B :

Does that make sense?

Dr B :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes im here, chronic condition is scary so just digesting that as in is it possible for a chronic condition to present itself very quickly, considering blood tests are done regularly

Dr B :

It is unlikely

Customer:

ok so one associates inflamation with arthritis ie. rhemathoid ect. or infection but to that level? I guess anyones iron count can lesses possible through diet ect. my reckoning is that a drop in iron levels is not that serious but this two counts put together is it pointing in a specific direction ie liver, kidneys, pancreas?

Dr B :

They do not point in any direction , that is why I said you need an iron panel to further narrow down the possible causes

Customer:

is an iron panel a series of blood tests?

Dr B :

No it is a blood test taken once

Customer:

perfect thank you.

Dr B :

You're welcome
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic

If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session
Bonuses and positive feedback are much appreciated

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience