Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hello, Thank you for taking my call. I have had a numb pinky

Thank you for taking my call. I have had a numb pinky finger for lack of better term, for over 3 months now. It does not hurt, just numb. I have a situation where I am almost legal in Portugal from the U.S. and until legal can t see a Dr.

What could possibly cause this? I work online as a career, type for 14 hours a day. I am healthy and getting very concerned.

Thank you.

Do you have any weakness in that arm or hand?
Can you move the pinky normally?
Any elbow, neck or wrist pain?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, not in the arm or hand,none of the above. I can move it but can t feel what I touch and being an online therapist it is really interfering with my typing.

I do have severe neck and back pain. However that is because I work online for many hours a day.

Thank you for clarifying,

I am sorry you are experiencing these symptoms.
The nerve that supplies your pinky finger (and also part of the ring finger) is the ulnar nerve.
This most commonly is compressed at the elbow. If you rest your elbow on a table when you are typing, this can lead to the compression.
It can also become entrapped at the collarbone level or the wrist level (from a cyst).

Using anti-inflammatories may be helpful along with an elbow pad (like rollerbladers use) or simply wrapping padding with an ACE bandage.

However, if you are constantly numb, these may not help much. The sooner you are able to have treatment, the better so that you do not lose muscle in the area that the nerve supplies.

An EMG/nerve conduction test will be able to tell where the nerve is being pinched.

Here is more information for you to read about the condition:

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!