Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

can multaq and toprol-xl 200 mg daily be used together

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

Are both the drugs prescribed by your doctor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

toprol-xl is for hypertention Multaq is for newly cardioverted a-fib Toprol has been used for two years multaq is new

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

When both the drugs are used together, they can have additive effect. You may need to reduce the dose of Toprol. You should check your blood pressure regularly. There can be symptoms of fatigue, fainting, difficulty breathing, chest pain or tightness, slow heart rate etc. If you feel such symptoms you should consult doctor. However when any new medication is started, let the doctor know of any adverse side effect if you experience .

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this combination commonly employed
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
This combination is commonly employed. Only you need to observe if you develop any new symptom.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My dr. said that " The beta-blocker cannot be reduced or stopped due to bad family history for heart problems (is this combination dangerous I've taken the first five doses and have had no problems except My bp was running at 139/80 and went to 133/77

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
This combination is not dangerous. As I said the effect of toprol can be increased. This can be a cause of reduction of your blood pressure, whose level is better than before.