Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

hi doctor, I have an ingrown toenail (large toe) for six

hi doctor,

I have an ingrown toenail (large toe) for six days now. I have not been taking any medications. It is still red but slowly improving. Redness is all around the toenail usually more red after walking for a long time or late at night.

I had an epidosed of this earlier last year. Should I see my doctor? I am soaking once a day and notice that there is some puss on the edge. I also use hydrogen peroxide. Is peroxide bad? will it inflame the area causing more redness?

Also, what type of antibiotics are perscribed. Last time I was given amoxcillin oral. I had a reaction on the 7th day. Any alternative drugs?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

If you have pus, you need to see your doctor, it may need antibiotics, and also the nail may need to be removed partially

Dr B :

Peroxide is good to use

Dr B :

If you had a reaction to the amoxicillin then you may use clarithromycin instead

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can the partial removal of the nail be done in most doctor offices or do I need to go to the ER or see a podiatrist?

Also, should I soak in saltwater? I am currently soaking in soapy water (using dial soap).

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.
It can be done in most doctors offices. You don't need to keep soaking it, but if you do, use salt water
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great. I promise you i will accept but what is the procedure like?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.
It is simple and short, with an injection of some numbing medicine, and part of the nail removed, taking about 10-15 minutes