Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been experiencing a tingling feeling in my left hand

I have been experiencing a tingling feeling in my left hand recently. It started occassionaly and has progressed. I have also been feeling really worn out lately and have had a decreased sex drive as well as performance issues. I work a lot of hours and my job is sressfull. I have not been exercising or eating very well lately either. I used to run a lot and was in great shape. Right now I get winded with minimal exercise. Do you think my issues are a simple diet and exercise problem, or could it be something worse?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Does your job entails long hours on computer?

Any significant past medical history of family history?

Are you smoker and drink alcohol regularly?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my job requires a lot of moving. i do not sit for long periods of time. i am a retail manager at a home improvement warehouse.

family medical history of diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure. i have always been very healthy though.

i do not smoke and i will have a few drinks here and there, but not very often. mostly socially with friends.

Let me at the outset tell you that your symptoms are not likely to point to anything concerning. Just stress can be responsible for low sex drive, performance issue and worn out feeling. Still with your family history of diabetes and high blood pressure, a general examination by your primary care physician and routine blood work (complete blood counts and comprehensive metabolic panel) would be good to categorically rule out any medical issue.

Tingling feeling in hand can be due to pinched nerve. This can be either carpal tunnel syndrome or pinched nerves in neck (due to bone spurs pressing on nerves or herniated disc in neck). A x-ray and MRI of the neck would be needed to ascertain the cause. Physical therapy is the mainstay of the treatment.

Meanwhile rest, relaxation techniques, healthy eating, exercises and a supplement of multivitamin and multimineral should be helpful to you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

sometimes i sleep on my arm or with my arm back behind my head. could that be a cause of the arm tingling?

Yes, this can be the aggravating factor for the arm tingling. Physical therapy of the neck and shoulder girdle would be able to take care of it. Occasionally a neck traction (cervical traction) may be needed.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun