Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im on coumadin and I hit my head slightly today. It hurt

I'm on coumadin and I hit my head slightly today. It hurt only a tiny bit for a few minutes after I hit, and had I not been on coumadin I wouldn't have thought much of it. There's no bump, bruise, swelling, etc. I mostly think I'm paranoid about the situation. Think I'll be okay? I keep looking for signs - and I feel that I may have a slight headache, but I also could be imagining that. Thoughts? - Rachel, 24

Is your INR normal?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I've been on the coumadin since April 3, and they have not been able to stablize my INR. They want it to be between 2 and 3, but it's either been too low or too high. Last week Thursday I was at 1.7 (after previously having been at 1.9), so they upped my dosage.

(I had been taking 7.5 mg 6 days a week and 5 mg 1 day a week - but after a reading of 1.7 they changed it to 7.5 mg 5 days a week and 10 mg 2 days a week. Last night was a 10 mg night.)

With a slight impact head injury there is nothing to be worried. With INR being on the lower side, there is further no chance of any concern. Absence of bruise and swelling also point the same.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun