Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I recently had blood test run for my physical. The results

I recently had blood test run for my physical. The results indicated my calcium was higher than normal. I am scheduled to take another test this week. What are the effects of this? What does this mean.

Thank you in advance for your feedback !
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

How high was your calcium?

Customer:

This is terrible but I can not find my lab results. I think and only think it was 2 points higher than normal. I asked my pharmacist and this seems to stick in my head.

Dr B :

Okay, it may be due to the calcium you were taking, that is why your doctor said you should retest

Customer:

I was told by my pharmacist that the body actually rids itself of extra calcium so, due to my nature I am concerned what it may mean if it remains above normal. Any feedback in this regard

Dr B :

It could be your parathyroid glands that are producing too much of the hormone that increases calcium, it could be a tumor as well, there is no way to know without more tests

Customer:

Thank you