Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Does an STD test and routine gynecological test only test for

Does an STD test and routine gynecological test only test for stds?
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 5 years ago.
Hello.
Can you tell me in detail- Which tests have you undergone?
What are your symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no symptoms, its for my annual gynecological exam. But I like to be tested so it's thorough. My question is do they check general health and other things, or do they just test for STDS?
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

During the routine gynecological exam you get a routine PAP smear, however, if you request to be checked for STDs, it can be easily done at the same time. Gonorrhea and Chlamydia can be checked with a culture during the exam and other STDs, such as HIV, Herpes, Syphilis, can be tested with a blood test. Unless you ask to be tested for STDs, it will not be done.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do the blood tests work? Do they test for antibodies for those specific diseases?

Yes, that is exactly how it works. They look for antibodies on the blood test and during a swab (for gonorrhea/chlamydia), they look for the actual bacteria.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss