Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

autoimmune hepatitis and my doctor recommended a liver biopsy for me

i have autoimmune hepatitis and my doctor recommended a liver biopsy for me ever 2-3 years is it normal? and does it have any bad influence on the liver?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes, your gastroenterologist is correct. Your liver should be biopsied every few years to keep an eye on the amount of scarring present in the liver.

Because auto-immune hepatitis causes destruction of liver cells, it puts you at risk for developing cirrhosis. Best way to diagnose cirrhosis or to tell what health your liver is in is to do a biopsy.

Biopsy is not at all harmful to the liver and will not cause any damage if done every 2-3 years.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,