Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

IN THE PAST I HAVE ALSO HAD A READING OF 19 OR 20

Customer Question

I AM A 56 YR OLD DIABETIC ON LANTUS. MY BLOODWORK SHOWED A LOW CARBON DIOXIDE RESULT OF 18 WHEN NORMAL IS 21. IN THE PAST I HAVE ALSO HAD A READING OF 19 OR 20. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TOLD BY A PROVIDER THAT THIS WAS A PROBLEM. IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD BE CONCEREND ABOUT?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Carbon Dioxide on the blood work is of absolutely no concern. This test usually always comes back a few points higher or lower then indicated as to what "normal".

The only time this test actually matters is when someone has an asthma attack or bronchitis attack and they are short of breath and we need to measure the level of carbon dioxide in the blood.

So this test is of no concern.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept'' that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia