Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

elbows..slight pain at the tip of elbow when I press my elbow..bones

One of my elbows is not as strong as the other one. I have slight pain at the tip of elbow when I press my elbow against a hard surface. I injured my elbow by accidently hitting it against a hard surface but there didn't seem to be any bones broken at the time. I didn't have the elbow x-rayed at that time. The skin surface of the elbow became dark which probably means that blood vessels in the elbow area had been ruptured. A few years later, I tripped and fell on ice & landed on the ground on both of my elbows. The previously injured elbow became stiff & I had to do physical therapy to restore movement to the elbow. Recently, I have been taking a supplement known as Instaflex which contains MSN & Glucosamine. I've also been taking a calcium supplement, a B vitamin complex & magnesium. The elbow seems to be getting stronger but if I stop taking the supplements, the elbow becomes weak again. Why is this happening? My doctor has recommended that I have x-ray of the elbow. I will be having my elbow x-rayed soon.? My doctor said he wants me to have my elbow x-rayed because he said that there could be a fracture in the elbow area. The doctor said there probably isn’t any nerve damage in the elbow area since I don’t have tingling in my finger tips in the fingers that are on the hand that is on the same arm as the previously injured elbow. However, the blood vessels in my finger tips on the arm seem to be throbbing slightly. What could be wrong with my elbow?

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. I'm sorry its taken such a long time for you to get a response to your question.

There are a number of things that could cause your elbow pain. Types of injuries would include strains (over stretching of muscles or ligaments), sprains (tearing of ligaments), fracture of bone, or bursitis (an inflammation of the fluid sac that is between the bones and tendons in your elbow).

If your pain is at the tip of your elbow you may have a bursitis, called "olecranon bursitis". Here is a link that explains: Elbow (Olecranon) Bursitis

Or, a fracture could also cause pain in this area. Here is another link: Elbow (Olecranon) Fracture These links have explanations and pictures so you can better understand the anatomy.

You may also have osteoarthritis in the elbow, which can result after an injury to the elbow. Whatever the problem is, xray would be the first step, after physically examining the elbow, to find out what the problem is.

Most injuries will gradually heal with some supportive help:

---Rest the joint (try not to put any weight on it),

---apply ice or heat as needed,

---elevate your arm especially if there is swelling, and

---use an elbow support brace that you can get at your local pharmacy. Here is a link for a picture as an example: Elbow Brace