Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

My daughter is in La Vista Correctional Facility (prison).

My daughter is in La Vista Correctional Facility (prison). They receive monthly TB shots, she received one yesterday and now it it red, itchy, swollen and about the size of a silver dollar. Also in this area is a darker red spot about the size of a dime where she had her last shot.

Today is the day I take her daughter to vistit her (16 months old) and she is worried that maybe I should not take her. I am wonding if I need to be concerned about my daughter? She is 22 years old and has asthma and allergies.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Do you know how many times your daughter has received the skin test?

Why are is the facility doing monthly skin tests? Is this just normal procedure, or is there a risk due to exposure to someone who has had TB?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been there for 12 months so I am assuming 12. This is normal procdure at the facility.

Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

Does she have any symptoms of illness, or has she been exposed to someone who is ill and coughing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Valarie replied 3 years ago.

There are a few reasons for a "false positive' result on the skin test:

---having received an immunization for TB, called "BCG" (this is not usually done is the U.S., but is done in other countries)

---currently has (or had in the past) a Mycobacterial infection, that is not actually TB

---had a previous infection with TB, but does not have a current active infection

---the skin test was improperly administered

There, of course, is the possibility that she has been exposed to TB. The facility most likely has procedures for following up by doing some more testing (usually an exam by a physician, and a chest xray or CT scan) to determine if she has been infected with TB. Until this is done, you will not really know.

The facility "community" is at high risk, otherwise they would not do testing so frequently. So, I would advise that a visit by her baby daughter be put on hold until your daughter knows what is going on.

If it turns out that she has a TB infection, there is treatment for it.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management