Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

My doctor put me on two mg of Lorazapam for Insomnia. I understand

My doctor put me on two mg of Lorazapam for Insomnia. I understand that Lorazapam can lower natural Melatonin in the body, so would it be alright to take both Lorazapam and Melatonin before bedtime?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

There is an interaction, classified as "minor" between Lorazepam and Melatonin. Taken together they will cause an increase in the sedation effect, and may impair memory, attention and coordination.

This interaction would be similar to any two medicines you take that have a sedative effect.

You just need to keep this in mind, and be careful to take these medications only before going to bed.