Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

I have a low testosterone problem of 3.5calc free,and 206 testosterone,what

I have a low testosterone problem of 3.5calc free,and 206 testosterone,what are my best options without serious side effects.Gerald dumais

Hello Mr. Dumais and thank you for your question,

The most common way to improve your testosterone levels is with use of Androgel (its a testosterone gel that you apply daily to your body). This mode is best tolerated with minimal side effects. Other options include a Testosterone patch and Testosterone injections.

Regardless of which way you decide to administer Testosterone, you will need monitoring of your liver enzymes and PSA (prostate antigen) every 6 months. Because prostate cancer is Testosterone driven, there is a small chance of getting prostate cancer while on Testosterone supplementation (which is why you need monitoring every 6 months instead of a year).

I work with male patients only and many of them are on Testosterone replacement and, thankfully, as of yet none have had any serious side effects at all.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is an alternative an extract called tongkat azi extract?

There is such an extract but I most certainly can tell you that it will not work to improve your testosterone levels. Besides that, we do not know the safety of these extracts, how they work, how they get eliminated from the body, and how they interfere with other medications. I would strongly urge you not to spend your money on getting this extract. If you wish to improve your testosterone safely, you will need a prescription testosterone supplement which will improve your testosterone levels.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to help you further.

If I answered your questions, please click 'Accept' button.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you doctor,i will take your advice,Jerry Dumais