Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I keep waking up with watery eyes, headache, exhaustion and

I keep waking up with watery eyes, headache, exhaustion and itching. Today it's so bad I feel like I'm going to vomit or faint. I went to an allergist but the tests showed only mild reactions.
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

What allergens did you have mild reactions to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Grass and tree pollen.
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

As you are probably aware, it is the season for allergies caused by pollens. The morning hours are the time that pollen counts are usually highest.

Another thing you might think about: You pick up pollens throughout the day in your hair, on your clothing and on your skin. So at night you are more exposed by breathing in these pollens that are in your hair, get onto your pillow, and in your sheets. The result is that you wake up with worse allergy symptoms.

Showering and washing your hair before going to bed can help reduce exposure to those pollens while you sleep.

Use eye moisturizing drops to wash out your eyes periodically during the day and just before bed. Use saline nasal sprays to help clean the pollen out of your nasal passages before bed.

Air conditioning, rather than open windows can help, if that is possible.

Frequently washing your bed linens and using a dryer to dry rather than hanging out will help keep the pollen counts in your bed down.

And since you cannot totally avoid the allergens that bother you, you might also give some thought to making sure your diet is healthy. Try to avoid junk or fast foods (as yummy as they may be) and opt for whole foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, lean protein and dairy and the good fats) to support your body while it is being stressed.