Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

Hello, I am a 47 y/o female who fell last February and ruptured

Hello, I am a 47 y/o female who fell last February and ruptured a groin muscle. 3 months later I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes a very high CRP, 17-21 at several lab draws. I have since battled chronic pain, like a daily 4-5, in my hips-groin, swollen left ankle daily. I also have had loose stools since starting metformin and then about 6 months ago, noticed these grape sized pods in my stool. Usually 2-3 perday. Today I took one out of the toilet and it was firm to the touch and looked like an undigested whole grape. I popped it open and there was a white powdery substance in it. Can you help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

If you are taking an extended release metformin, it is probably what is known as a "ghost pill". The outer casing can be expelled in the stool after the contents have been absorbed. I would imagine that the casing gets hardened as it passes through all the digestive enzymes and movement of the bowel.

There are many people who post onto forums about this problem. Your finding of a white powdery substance inside the pod would also confirm that this is a medication.

You might check to see if the number of expelled "pods" coincides with the number of metformin you take. I would guess that other medications can do this sometimes, but metformin seems to be the "culprit" with most people who complain of this.