Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Upper body rashes which itch

Upper body rashes which itch
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Could you please be more specific and describe your rash in more detail? It is difficult to diagnose rashes without seeing them and even more difficult if there is no details provided.

How long have you had it?

Where is it located?

Is it in patches or the entire upper body involved?

Is there redness? scaling?

Which cream have tried?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Shoulders, back, stomach, entire upper body

some redness but no scaling, it bleeds when you scratch.

have you developed it suddenly? How long have you had it for?

Which creams have you tried?

Have you had any recent changes in medications or have you recently started any new medications (including over-the-counter supplements)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have tried kenalog, 80mg in Lubriderm

Have not changed medications, have had it of and on for months.

Thank you for your replies.

Judging on the medications you have used and your symptoms, the most likely cause of your rash is an inflammatory condition called dermatitis - basically means inflammation of the outer layer of the skin.

Since it has been rather wide-spread and involves a large area of your body, applying creams and doing Kenalog injections will offer little help.

My recommendation would be to start of course of steroids (Prednisone) for 3-4 weeks. You start at a high dose (60 mg daily) and wean down every 3-4 days. Prednisone is a great anti-inflammatory agent and will improve your rash and hopefully keep it from coming back. I would also recommend that you take an anti-histamine (anti-allergy medication) such as Claritin or Allegra during the day (available over-the-counter) and Hydroxyzine at night (used to help with itching at night, available by prescription only).

Also, doing a skin biopsy to look at the source of the rash will also be very helpful in determining the cause, and therefore, the treatment. You can have a skin biopsy before you start steroid treatment or consider doing it if steroid treatment does not improve your symptoms.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,