Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

An opinion on my MRI report and should i see a neurosurgeon

An opinion on my MRI report and should i see a neurosurgeon? CERVICAL: loss of disc space height and endplate osteophytes, bilateral forminal narrowing C5-C6 w/ moderate spinal stenosis at this level with effacement of CSF anterior and posterior the cord. C6-C7 posterior disc osteophyte complex resulting in moderate spinal stenosis. Neural foramina narrowing C6-C7 more prominent on left. my symptoms are arm, shoulder pain and hand tingling, neck stiffness.

Hello and thank you for your question,

It sounds that you have tried all the conservative approaches to treat your symptoms (physio, massage, etc). Because you do have neurological symptoms (tingling in your hand), I would recommend to see a neurosurgeon for a consultation. You may not actually need to have surgery done but rather get a cortisone injection into the cervical area (most likely into C6-7 vertebrae because stenosis in that vertebrae is what's responsible for the tingling symptoms. Cortisone injection might help decrease inflammation and alleviate some, if not all, of your symptoms. If cortisone injection fails, you can then consider surgery.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,