Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Is it true you can be a carrier of Hep C but not actual be

Is it true you can be a carrier of Hep C but not actual be able to give it to others?
I have heard different things but know someone the dt told them they were a carrier of it but they don't believe that they can give it to anyone.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Anyone who is a carrier for Hepatitis C can give it to people they come in sexual contact with or by sharing needles (for example, if someone is a drug user and shares needles). Also, if someone with Hepatitis C donates blood, the person who will receive the blood, will most definitely get Hepatitis C.

What is true is that the rate of transmission of Hepatitis C through sexual contact is not very high, however, it still exists and someone with Hepatitis C should take all the precautions not to pass the disease to the sexual partner.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If u had hep c and were pregnant, how would it affect the baby? will they definitly have hep c?

Being pregnant and having Hepatitis C will not affect the baby during pregnancy, however, during the birth/delivery, the virus can get transmitted to the baby if the baby's blood and mom's blood comes in contact. However, the virus doesn't always get transmitted so no, the baby will not definitely have Hepatitis C because not all mom's will transmit the virus.

This may sound a bit confusing. The bottom line is that yes, virus can be transmitted to the baby during delivery but it is not a 100% certainty that it will. There is probably higher chance that it wouldn't.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Julia