CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Blue veins visible on forehead and temples

Recently I have been experiencing more migraines than usual, and I also noticed, just several days ago, that the veins on both temples and in the top center of my forehead have become very noticeable--they are not raised, just noticeable beneath the skin (deep blue in color). 
I do have pale skin and have been using a combination of alpha hydroxy acid and Retin-A for skin-care purposes. Are the veins something I should be concerned about? Might they go away on their own? 

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Veins are more prominent on fair skinned people and they also become more prominent in warmer temperatures... this is normal. Cold compresses will help i t to diminish temporarily. There is nothing to worry about with this.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I ask one additional question: Is there any connection between drinking and how much veins show through the skin? I don't drink much, usually one drink with dinner 5 nights a week or so.

CamilleRN :

Yes, alcohol is a vasodilator which can cause veins to be larger.

CamilleRN :

You could try eliminating that one drink... see if it helps... but my guess is one drink isn't making that much difference.