A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I hear wheezing and gurgling when I am lying down with my head

I hear wheezing and gurgling when I am lying down with my head somewhat raised. I have heartburn almost every day and many times I can't make it to the bathroom on time. Very often I wake up with headaches that go away about fifteen minutes later. Sometimes food will come up into my throat after I have eaten. All of these problems have been with me for many years but they are getting more frequent and worse.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Have you seen a gastroenterologist for your gastric problem? Gastroesophageal reflux may be what you have. Raising the head of the bed 6-inches higher than the foot can help keep stomach contents where they belong. Often it takes the strongest acid reducers (omeprazole or esomeprazole, for instance) taken daily to reduce acid to manageable levels.

There are some foods that many people find they cannot tolerate including onions, garlic, tomatoes, citric fruits, peppermint, anything that is carbonated or has caffeine, chocolate, etc. It is best to lose weight if overweight. It also helps to have several small meals through the day instead of 3 larger ones, and to not eat for at least 3 hours before going to bed.

The gastroenterologist could also determine why you are having fecal incontinence. They specialize in the whole digestive tract from the throat to the anus.

Wheezing and gurgling may be from acid reflux but you also may be having a problem with your lungs or with congestive heart failure. There is really no way to determine this without hands-on examinations and some testing.