Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Can a remote right basal ganglia lacunar infarction be related

Can a remote right basal ganglia lacunar infarction be related to a motor vehicle accident wherein a 75-year-old man's head broke the back glass of his pickup when he was rear-ended?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

No, lacunar infarct cannot be caused by head trauma. Lacunar infarct happens when a tiny blood clot within an artery breaks off and travels down the artery to the point where it gets stuck. When it gets stuck and blocks blood flow, it causes the infarct.

Head traumas, either in motor vehicle or in other accidents, may cause a brain artery to rupture causing a bleed in the brain but it is different from the lacunar infarct.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,