CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have a painless lump in bra strap area on back under my

I have a painless lump in bra strap
area on back under my shoulder blade for about 8 months. It's doubled in size. It's hard but feels movable. Sebaceous cyst or swollen lymph node. I'm very worried.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. That's not a likely place for a swollen lymph node but is a common place for a fatty tumor ( lipoma) Because it has grown it's wise to have it looked at by your Doctor to make sure it isn't something more sinister such as a cancerous tumor.

CamilleRN :

Fatty tumors are harmless.... and that is probably what it is... but do get it looked at for your peace of mind.

CamilleRN :

A cyst would be painful, swollen, tender and eventually produce drainage.. I don't think that is what it is based upon your description.

CamilleRN :

Full Size Image

CamilleRN :

that is a lipoma

CamilleRN :

Full Size Image

CamilleRN :

So is that one.. but it's larger

Customer: Thank you. It's in the more in the middle as low as my bra strap. Mine is Much smaller a little bigger than a pea but more oval.
CamilleRN :

Yes.. It is most likely a lipoma

Customer: What would a swollen lymph node on my back feel like?
CamilleRN :

here is a diagram of lymph nodes.. is yours in one of these places?

CamilleRN :

Full Size Image

CamilleRN :

It can vary from soft sqhishy pea to small hard pea

CamilleRN :

actually shaped more like a kidney bean

CamilleRN :

It would be very uncommon to have one lymph node enlarged on that area of your back

CamilleRN :

and if it were a lymph node it would be tender and sore if enlarged

Customer: Ok. Just to clarify when I say bra strap, I mean the strap with the clasp that lays across my back. The lump lays 3 inches away from mine spine. It sits on my rib cage.
CamilleRN :

If it's on your ribs that makes it even more likely that it is just a fatty tumor

Customer: Thank you! Ill have a good sleep tonight!
CamilleRN :

thank you! you are very welcome:-))