drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

I am concerned about some very swollen glands in my neck.

I am concerned about some very swollen glands in my neck. They have been swollen and bothering me for several weeks now. I just went into the doctor on Friday because I felt a sinus infection developing. She felt my glands and said they were indeed swollen, and said that my right ear had quite a lot of amber fluid behind the eardrum. She gave me antibiotics, which I am still on for another week. Well, a few days ago I noticed a terribly tender spot on my jawbone, which I assume must be a swollen submandibular gland. It is still tender today, but not nearly as bad as last week (I couldn't even lightly touch the skin on my jaw, it hurt so bad). Now it only hurts if I apply pressure to it, so it must be going away. However, I am concerned about the number of large swollen glands in my neck. The two huge glands that you can normally feel (anterior cervical????) (not 100%sure)--are still swollen. What concerns me more is that there is a second set of glands that is also swollen that I don't normally feel, and it is especially large on the left side. They are located in between the large glands and my windpipe, and they are sort of up under the jaw and under the tongue--almost where you see people taking their pulse but a little closer to the front. They don't seem to hurt when I apply pressure, but the swelling concerns me, especially since it's not symmetrical. I know in the past I also have an enlarged parathyroid gland, which showed up on an ultrasound, but they said my calcium levels were normal so not to worry about it--that's in a totally different area but thought I'd mention it. I have had mono in the past and I can tell that this is not mono. I also don't have tonsils. What are these glands, and why might they be swollen? Is it cause for concern or does it go away on its own?

I forgot to mention--sometimes I find I will go to swallow and I can't for a second or two--not that my throat is too swollen, but it's almost like the 'electricity' or nerves aren't firing to start the swallowing action--I've had this happen many times over the years but it's become more frequent as of late--not sure if it's related to the swollen glands or if it means anything at all....
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 3 years ago.

drknowsbest :

these glands can drain the ear, sinuses, throat

drknowsbest :

they may take up to 6 weeks to decrease fully in size after an infection

drknowsbest :

they are likely reacting to the ear infection/possible sinus infection you had, it is possible to get mono again but not really going to change anything since viral and no real treatment, if they start to become more tender or increase again i would discuss getting some blood counts with your dr

drknowsbest :

if they continue to decrease and are normal...fine...if they decrease but are not back to normal after 6 weeks i would check bloodwork then

drknowsbest :

if no more questions please accept

drknowsbest :

zithromax may actually cover a submandibular gland infection so may also be why is getting less tender

drknowsbest :

if no more questions please accept as then we can sign off

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
not sure if you are having problems with chat so i stitched to old fashioned format
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I will keep an eye on it for another few weeks. Is the inability to swallow also a problem or normal?
if it feels swollen that is normal but if actually difficult to swallow then i would have your dr reevaluate
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience: DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health