Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

what are the risk of grade c erosive esphagitias

Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The risks of having erosive esophagitis is development of ulcers and bleeding. Also there is a risk of developing a pre-cancerous condition called 'Barrett's esophagus' which is basically caused by chronic acid reflux.

Taking Nexium is the correct treatment for erosive esophagitis. There are some life-style modifications which you can apply as well - such as not eating within 3 hours of bedtime, elevating the head of the bed, avoid foods such as citrus, spicy, tomato based, fried, coffee and mint. These foods are known to increase acid reflux.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my specailist tells me hard physical activity can cause reflux to kick up even while being treated im in the military and my job requires me to run and scream for 12-16 hours he sugguest i shoudlnt do it any more what do you suggest.

I am sorry I didn't reply to you right away, I had to step away from the computer.

Unless you do a lot of bending over, leaning, something that involves your head position to be below your midline, acid reflux should not be worsened. So if you do a lot of running, it should not aggravate acid reflux. Screaming should not aggravate acid reflux either but it can cause some hoarseness of the voice as well as sore throat which are also symptoms of acid reflux.

If you take Nexium for about a month or two, the healing process will take place. So if your physician doesn't want you doing a lot of physical activity or screaming, you can (if your job allows you to) try to avoid for about a month. After that you should be able to resume. Erosive esophagitis is not a permanent condition, it does heal with use of Nexium and other modalities I described earlier.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

If I answered your questions, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.