Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

Persistant pins and needles and numbness in right hand. Started

Persistant pins and needles and numbness in right hand. Started as pins and needles in thumb and first two fingers. Hand feels fat and clumsy but has same strength as other hand.
Feel like i am getting pins & needles more often in other hand and feet but that could just be psychosomatic as i do have depression and anxiety.

How long and how frequently are you having the symptoms?

Which fingers are affected?

Is there any pain, swelling?

Do you take any medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For about 3 weeks, the feeling never goes away but changes - sometimes my whole hand will feel numb, other times i'll have a tingling sensation in my fingers. At the moment i am experiencing tingling in my little finger/pinky, but when i first experienced it it was in my thumb.

If i lie on my right side, sometimes i will get a feeling of more pressure or numbness in the hand but it doesnt "hurt", its more uncomfortable.

I take daily: 1.25mg clonazepam, 40mg aropax, leven ED contraceptive pill, 100mg seroquel at night and 450mg lithium (although my psychiatrist said there is no point mentioning that to anyone as it is below the thereapeutic range - i had a blood test because my GP thought the pins & needles might be because of high lithium levels)

I had Tempormandibular joint dysfunction about 5 years ago but my clicking jaw disappeared after i got bells palsy (i am fully recovered from the bells palsy)

I have major depression and panic disorder with some borderline personality traits.
Thank you for the information,

The pins and needles and numbness are related to nerve impulses .

So your doctor has advised about nerve conduction tests.

It can be due to pinching of a nerve or its root any where in its course , in the spine or in the limb.

The other common causes are low calcium or electrolytes, vitamins , thyroid diseases, diabetes, or other nerve diseases.

Low circulation can also cause a sensation of numbness.

If you have not been tested for those you can have blood tests for metabolic panel.

Specific cause needs to be determined to have a plan of treatment.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer was what i would have got from a google search.
And do i have to "get another answer" or "ask another question"? Cant i just withdraw my question altogether and keep my $22?

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

It sounds as if you may have developed carpal tunnel syndrome. Your wrist contains several tendons and a nerve called the median nerve, these run through a space in the wrist known as the carpal tunnel. When pressure is applied to the median nerve it causes pain, tingling, numbness and in severe cases weakness in your hand, thumb and fingers. Carpal Tunnel can be caused by a number of things including repetitive movements in the wrist, smoking, an injury to the wrist, obesity, pregnancy or some diseases like diabetes or thyroid problems. Usually symptoms are first notable at night and as the syndrome progresses and becomes more severe the symptoms will become more noticeable with activities or at rest. Carpal tunnel is diagnosed by physical exam by a doctor, a nerve test called and EMG and blood work to make sure there is not an underlying cause such as diabetes or thyroid issues. If the results are carpal tunnel there are different treatment options depending on how severe your case is. If you just have a mild case you can be treated with anti-inflammatory medications either over the counter or prescription, modifying your activities and wearing a wrist brace while sleeping, the brace keeps your wrist in a neutral position which takes the pressure off of the nerve. If it is moderate you will do the above mentioned but physical therapy or cortisone injections may be recommended but if it is severe you will need surgery. Surgery is done as an outpatient and your doctor will either put you to sleep or use a local anesthesia to just numb your arm. The surgeon then makes a small incision in the palm of your hand, a ligament (transverse carpal ligament) is then cut which takes pressure off of the nerve. The incision is then closed with stitches that will stay in for around 7 days and covered with a bandage. Usually after the stitches are removed you will have a few sessions of physical therapy and in about 6-8 wks you can resume normal activity as tolerated. If carpal tunnel is left untreated it can cause permanent damage.

My recommendations to you are try treating this on your own for 2 weeks. Take 400mg of ibuprofen three times a day with food, purchase a wrist brace for carpal tunnel (available at most drug stores or super centers) to wear at night and ice your wrist for 20 minutes 3 times a day. If after this no relief is noticed then make an appt. with an orthopedic physician that specializes in the hand/wrist. They will likely do blood work and and may be able to get the EMG test sooner then August to see if you have carpal tunnel and how severe it is. The treatment will depend on your results.

If the tests do not show EMG you may want to have you neck looked at as neck problems can cause numbness/tingling but usually you have pain/numbness/tingling that runs down your arm along with weakness. I would have the carpal tunnel checked first.

If you have any further questions regarding your symptoms, please let me know. Hope you get relief soon!! Have a great day.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant take ibuprofen as im scheduled for a tonsillectomy in 2 weeks.
The pins & needles first appeared in the morning.
My doctor's referral say my persistent pins and needles in "not simply median nerve distribution"
It might be psychosomatic, but i had my blood pressure taken by the anaesthesist in prep for my tonsillectomy on my right arm and after i felt like i could feel pain where the cuff was - a dull ache - and the pins and needles seemed to get worse...
I dont do any of the usual types of activities that result in carpal tunnel, and im left handed not right handed....

You can develop carpal tunnel in either hand, it does not have to be the one that is your dominant. A lot of people develop it in both hands. It does not always occur from repetitive actions like I mentioned before it can be due to several different diseases as well. Since you cannot take ibuprofen you can still try the brace and see if that provides you any relief.

There is also a nerve in your elbow and this can become pinched and give you symptoms very similar to carpal tunnel but you will have pins/needles from your elbow down to your fingers. It is know as cubital tunnel syndrome. Also a pinched nerve in your neck can also give you numbness/tingling, pain and weakness in the arm down to the fingers. You may want to either have an EMG test that includes the area around your elbow to look at that nerve or have a MRI of your neck to look for any pinched nerves there.

I wish you very good luck with your tonsillectomy and I hope your hand feels better soon. Have a nice day.

Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience: LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat