CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Tinnitus caused by Atenolol 100mg Chlor50mg as a single tablet

Customer Question

Tinnitus caused by Atenolol 100mg Chlor50mg as a single tablet but given as Atenolol 50mg Chlor 25mg Taking 2 tablets, took 1 dose and felt like I was dying, reduced to 1 tablet Atenolol 50mg Chlor 25 mg six additional days before the Dr. would see her Jan 21 to 28th. Also was taking at the same time Ciprofloxacn 500mg 2 times /day both of these medications have ringing of the ears as a side effect. She went to this Dr. to find out why she was loosing excessive amounts of hair. They took her bp and went beserk with medications. Bp was 170/90 and she was on Atenolol 50mg and had several episodes of high bp in the last 2/3 years.
Her ears began ringing at a very high and painful pitch on the 21st of Jan. just after taking the Atenolol-Chlor and ciprofloxacn. Can any thing be done to releive her.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. IS she still taking Atenolol?

CamilleRN :

Was she taking the B Complex when this started?

Customer :

no

Customer :

We were taking a multivitaman and Calcium Citrate, Chromium Picolinate, Selenium, A 500 mg Cranberry Capsule and Omega 3,6,9 multi-oil capsule

Customer :

They have her on Lisnopriol

Customer :

This is an ace type medication

CamilleRN :

How long ago was the atenolol stopped?

Customer :

Jan 28th, 2011 , they put her on Bystolic until Feb. then the lisnopriol

Customer :

Sorry they changed her from 5 mg to 10 mg in Feb. and Lisnopriol in late March.

Customer :

She was on the Atenolol since 1989, started at 5 mg and was raised to 50 mg over the past years

CamilleRN :

so all beta blockers were stopped in February. It would seem that the increase in atenolol/Chlor was the starting factor. Do you know if she has had a sensitivity to Sulfa drugs in the past? ( Bactrim, for example)

Customer :

no

Customer :

She had scarlet fever as a child

CamilleRN :

Tinnitus can come on suddenly due to toxicity of some substances as well as sensitivities... it can also happen due to problems in the ear with wax build up as well as congestion and it can occur without any known reason.

In most cases tinnitus is caused by benign conditions that are neither "dangerous" or "deadly".This is fairly common and actually one out of five people experience it. Tinnitus is a hearing disorder caused by a dysfunction of your auditory nerve. Treatment includes turning on music or other sounds to distract you from the ringing in your ear. For many people Tinnitus comes and goes without any apparent cause.

Here is a link to read more:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0101/p127.html

I hope this information helps you. Please remember to click ACCEPT. Thank you and I wish you the best! :-)

CamilleRN :

If you have more questions... please ask

CamilleRN :

I will try to help you in any way I can

Customer :

Her ears have always been sensitive to loud noises and she avoids them.

CamilleRN :

Did she see an Ear Nose Throat Specialist?