Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Just diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus

My husband is 75 years old. Just diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus. He is taking protonix. I would like to know if he can take calcium supplements with this. Calcium carbonate or Calcium citrate. And how much should he be taking.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Yes, your husband can safely take Calcium supplement with Protonix. My recommendation would be that he takes Protonix the first thing in the morning on the empty stomach and Calcium supplement he can take with breakfast and with dinner. It is important that Protonix is taken about an hour before food.

The recommended dose of Calcium Citrate is taken twice daily. The dose of Calcium per day should be 1200 mg.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck

Julia