CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I might need a colonoscopy. But I am also a fainter if blood

I might need a colonoscopy. But I am also a "fainter" if blood sugar gets too low, this has happened twice in my life time with a couple close calls. Since you are not allowed to eat the day before a colonoscopy, what are the chances that my doctor will have me spend the night in the hospital just in case because not having eaten my blood sugar will be very low.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Ask for an EARLy morning appointment, usually the day begins at 7am in the colonoscopy dept. The procedure will take an hour or so and then you will be in recovery for a short while until the anesthesia wears off.. you will then be given some juice and crackers then as soon as you feel ok..which shouldn't be more than 30 minutes or so, you will be allowed to go home.

Customer:

I'm cornerned about passing out the evening before, or what if I can't get a early morning appointment?

CamilleRN :

insist on the early appointment, period. Diabetics are always scheduled first. Why do you think you will pass out the night before?

Customer:

I am not a diabetic, my primary care docotor says that I am the oposite of a diabetic

CamilleRN :

hypoglycemic

CamilleRN :

have you ever passed out?

Customer:

Yes twice in my life time, I am just thinking of the worst case scinareo

CamilleRN :

try not to do that... the chances that you will pass out are slim to none...really

Customer:

really? even if I don't eat for 18-24hrs?

CamilleRN :

I have had hundreds of patients that are both diabetic and hypoglycemic and none have ever passed out.

Customer:

okay

CamilleRN :

what portocol does he use...

CamilleRN :

errr protocol

CamilleRN :

as of what time do you have to fast?

Customer:

I havn't met her yet, I will meet her (the specialist) on the 11th, its my primary care who said that I will probably need the colonoscopy

Customer:

spending extra time in the hospital doesn't bother me, I was just wondering how likely it is that my doctor will choose that option

CamilleRN :

oh ok.. then when you do, have a frank talk with her and tell her your concerns, she will make sure you will be done early and reassure you that you will be fine.

CamilleRN :

I have never seen anyone admitted to the hospital immediately after a routine colonoscopy.

Customer:

What about the evening/afternoon before?

CamilleRN :

no, that is not done... colonoscopy is done outpatient.

Customer:

okay, and if my blood sugar is very very low when I show up for the colonoscopy will that be okay?

CamilleRN :

yes, they can give you an iv with dextrose ( sugar) in it

CamilleRN :

or some apple juice

CamilleRN :

depending upon the type of sedation they use

Customer:

I ask becasue I don't want to go through all the prep only to have them say that it isn't safe for them to look up my but

CamilleRN :

nahhhh don't worry...that doesn't happen

Customer:

do you think she will let me do it not sedated but awake if i ask

CamilleRN :

no

CamilleRN :

your body has to be completely relaxed, this can only be achieved with sedation

Customer:

what if I ask for just local pain killers and stuff that calms me down but I am still awake?

CamilleRN :

no, I am sorry...that is not done

CamilleRN :

When I had mine done it was great..painless and I awoke alert and energetic.

Customer:

i don't like the idea of having a gap in my memory where stuff was done to my naked body

CamilleRN :

This is a very common procedure,,, you really have nothing to worry about. Really.no one likes that

Customer:

I HATE IT when they say that

Customer:

it is not common for me

CamilleRN :

but we have to do that for some medical procedures.

Customer:

I have been pretty healthy until now

CamilleRN :

you will not be naked

CamilleRN :

and there will be 2 nurses there plus the doctor and anesthesiologist

Customer:

what will I have on?

CamilleRN :

a hospital gown

Customer:

lol, ok

CamilleRN :

everything is covered except for a very small area of your butt

CamilleRN :

;-)

CamilleRN :

a drape with a hole is placed over your butt

Customer:

the hospital gown covers nothing you want covered and must get in the way

Customer:

are sure there is no way to do it with me still drugged and imobile but awake?

CamilleRN :

lol...true.,,, but trust me in this one... we don't even flinch... we have seen thousands of business.

CamilleRN :

not that I am aware of... ask your dc

CamilleRN :

errr Doc

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I don't care about them seeing me naked, its the gap in memory that bothers me, and I don;t but this in same category as surgery

CamilleRN :

I understand.

CamilleRN :

Ask your Doc if you can observe others having this done before your scheduled day

CamilleRN :

this would help to put your mind at ease

Customer:

I would be shocked if they allow that

Customer:

what happens if the patient has to pee during all this?

CamilleRN :

I have known docs that permit this... they ask permission of the patient... some will be happy to help

CamilleRN :

the never have to pee in surgery...you will empty your bladder prior to the procedure

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.