Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My 19 month olds hands have been swollen all day. She has

Customer Question

My 19 month old's hands have been swollen all day. She has not ate anything different nor did she get anything. We went on a walk this morning, it was a little chilly and when we got home I noticed they were puffy. And now 12 hours later they have not gone Down. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Carlos replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER ggubdtqc: Swollen hands may indicate or point towards some fluid buildup and you need to make sure she is evaluated right away by a doctor. I would advise you to have her pediatrician see her as soon as you can to look for diagnostic conditions which can cause her hands to be edematous all day long. Unless she has allergy symptoms too, I would advise that you stop the allergy medication until you have had her seen by a doctor. Is the child urinating ok? If not, she may need to be seen in your local ER if there are any problems with her urinating, in regards to possible kidney problems. Any family history of any blood disorders or kidney disease?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no history of blood or kidney disease. As far as urination she seems to be ok, she is not potty trained but has been drinking milk and water today and has had wet diapers. I only did one dose of allery medication. She does have a slight cough and a runny nose that she has had for 5 days, we took her to the dr for that and they said it was a virus. As fir her hands it's just the back of her hands to just slightly above the wrist. Her fingers a slightly puffy.-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
M
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You asked for more information, I have it to you and I never got a response!!! I am not satisfied with this site! And do not want to pay the $18!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
I am sorry that you did not receive a prompt reply.
Is the swelling still persisting,
Has she been evaluated by her pediatrician.
Two things come to mind
1. Allergic reaction to possible Insect bite
2. Nephrotic Syndrome, a kidney disorder in children characterized by protein loss in the urine and sudden appearance of body swelling.
There are other causes, but these are the common ones,
Get a pediatrician involved if the symptoms are persisting.
Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications