Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Sharp pain in shins

Customer Question

Sharp pain in shins
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
HI,
For how long have you had the shin pain?

Did you have any tests done to find the cause?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is my mother.She had one in the morning.Went away for couple of hours.Came back again.It starts in her feet and goes to haher shins.No tests so far
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Pain in lower legs can be caused by dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, arthritis or circulation problems. I would recommend that she drinks plenty of fluids and electrolytes such as Gatorade, and continue taking Ibuprofen or Tylenol for pain. She should avoid long walks or exercise for now and get a lot of rest. If symptoms persist or get worse, she should see her doctor for some tests including an X-ray.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are those symptoms could be releted to a blood clott ? And also she is a diabetic.

Her blood work from 10 days ago was quite accurate

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Sharp pain in the shins is not indicative of a blood clot. For one, it would almost always be one sided. And secondly the entire lower leg is usually tender- not just the shins.
This is most likely a neuropathy from her diabetes.
Unfortunately, this is a very common complications of diabetes and is not curable. it tends to be seen more often and earlier in people who are not well controlled with their diabetes, but can be seen even with people who are tightly controlled. basically the elevated sugar has damaged the nerves... the treatment for this is, besides keeping your sugars in check to prevent worsening symptoms, pain medications, anticonvulsants, etc...
I would make an appointment for her to seen by your gp to discuss these symptoms and to formulate a plan for pain control...
best wishes
press the green accept button if this was helpful.
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained