CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

pain in his legs for the last 3 weeks..his sed rate

My son has been complaining of pain in his legs for the last 3 weeks. I took him to the doctor and had his sed rate checked and it was elevated. Normal being 0-15 he was at 24.
What could be causes for this? His legs are not swollen or red, but he complains about pain at some point every day. Mostly his left around the knee. No other testing has been done yet. I had previously asked about his leg pain, and was told it was probably growing pains. Do you get an elevated sed rate with growing pains?

He is 3 1/2 years old. He had Kawasaki disease when he was 14 months old. At that time his sed rate was 65.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. A higher than normal sed rate indicates inflammation somewhere in his body. The sed rate is nonspecific and an increased result does not tell the doctor where the inflammation is or what is causing..further testing is needed.

Thank you